Monday, November 1, 2010

Sleeping Kids

Last night was the first night in months (or years) that I was not woken up by kids crying, yelling, whining, or throwing up. I can't believe it... I hope it is a sign of what's to come!

Reagan definitely takes after my side of the family - She loves to sleep! Recently she has been sleeping 13-15 hours a night. How awesome is that?

Nicholas, on the other hand, takes after Mike's side of the family - He thinks 'sleep is over-rated'. (Mike actually says that... all the time!) Mike has never set an alarm - and he gets up at 4:30am to go to work. Anyway, Nicholas has been waking up and coming to our bedroom 3-4 times every night for the past several months. Sometimes he's scared. Other times I think he's just bored. I tried everything... I was very firm, not allowing him to sleep in our bed. Finally, I googled, "How to get my 3 year old to stay in his bed". I read about a mother who bought her child a digital clock for his room. She put black electrical tape over the minutes, so that her son could only see the hours. She told him that he needed to stay in bed until the clock showed a 7. So, I thought I would give it a try. I bought a cheap digital clock at Target yesterday and did the electrical tape thing. I explained to Nicholas that he needed to stay in bed until the clock showed a 6 (We get up earlier than the lady on the internet who's idea I stole.) When the clock showed a 6, I told him that it meant it was morning and he could get out of bed. To my surprise, Nicholas stayed in his bed all night! Yippee!! Night 1 was a success. I still can't believe it!

I'm hoping that the novelty of the new digital clock doesn't wear off.
I'm thankful that Reagan is a great sleeper.
I'm wondering what me parents did when they couldn't google things.

No comments: