Friday, February 11, 2011

Lauren

Lauren...
* super cute
* smart
* sweet
* athletic

I have an awesome niece. In fact, she is Nicholas and Reagan's favorite person. Whenever she is around, they forget that I'm there! Lauren is so sweet that she enjoys playing with Nicholas and Reagan even when her friends are around. (I don't now too many pre-teens that would hang out with their little cousins when there are 'cooler' things to do.)



Yesterday, Lauren's life changed forever. She was rushed to the emergency room with a blood glucose level of almost 700 (no - that's not a typo!) She had been showing the symptoms for a few weeks (constant thirst and fatigue). Sure enough, Lauren was diagnosed with Type I Diabetes. She is still in the hospital while the doctors are getting her glucose levels under control.
Now, instead of spending her Friday night hanging out with her friends or updating her facebook status, Lauren is learning how to give herself insulin injections.... for the rest of her life.

Please pray for her and her family.

1 comment:

Judy said...

Oh my word. That's shocking. Lauren is so beautiful and so sweet! My heart is so sad for her!! But I have a feeling she'll adapt and become educated and learn how to handle this curve ball life has thrown at her with much grace. She has an awesome support system and I'm sure the entire family is rallying around her. Praying for wisdom for her doctors and her parents!! Praying that her body will quickly respond to treatment so she can head home soon. I have a feeling a few hugs from your kiddos will be some of the best medicine for her.
Please let Lauren know that we're praying for her!!!