Thursday, May 19, 2011

Riggins

Riggins Ali Reed
November 15, 2000 - May 18, 2011


We had to make the tough, tough decision to have Riggins put to sleep. He had a spinal injury that caused him to lose control of his bodily functions. Additionally, he lost movement of his back left leg and tail.

Nicholas understood that Riggins was sick. He loved petting him to make him feel better.
Reagan was scared of him and screamed anytime Riggins looked at her. (I'm not sure why she decided to get this close to him for this picture.)

My favorite memories of Riggins:



  • When Riggins was a puppy, we were driving home from Mike's parents' house. Mike was driving and I was in the passenger seat with Riggins on my lap. As we approached the stop sign near their house, Riggins jumped out the window!

  • Anytime in the snow... It was so funny watching him jump through the snow!

  • Taking Riggins to Puppy Kindergarten... Mike and I went to puppy kindergarten for weeks. I spent hours working with Riggins in the backyard. He loved snausages, knew he would get them, so he mastered all the skills. When it was time for the Puppy Kindergarten certification test, Riggins was a pro for about the first two skills. However, when he figure out that he wasn't allowed to get treats during the test, he protested and didn't pass any of the remaining skills. Yep - he failed Puppy Kindergarten!

  • We live in a housing development that constantly has people walking and riding bikes. Whenever our one neighbor, Bob, would walk by, Riggins would get so excited that he would pee all over him!

  • Trips to Cowens Gap
Even though Riggins drove me crazy, I still miss him!


2 comments:

Judy said...

Oh that makes me sad!

Some of my memories of Riggins:

-I remember how he was so persistant about digging under your fence so he could escape :)

-And I remember one escape in particular. We were all chasing after him; Me, Amy, Emma, Abby, Nathan & Christian. Riggins thought that was great fun and we quickly realized we were out of our league and I ran back to the house and called Mike!

Grammy said...

Grammy and Pappy also miss Riggins. Pappy fed him more snacks then he was supposed to and took care of him when Mike and Lisa were away. He just didn't get as much attention from us after Nicholas was born.